Getting Back to the “Old Me”… the “Me” before kids
A few weeks ago a friend of mine had shared a screenshot of her “GoodReads” list on her personal instagram account and it clicked… I really need to get back to the things that I love and have missed over the last couple of years. Cue the excitement when I learned of and signed up for the 30 books in 2018 reading challenge.
Growing up I used to always have a book in hand it was truly something I really enjoyed. Perhaps it was my course load in college or the addition of kiddos that took me away from my love of reading. Maybe it was all the household chores. I’m not sure but it was likely all of the things listed above. One thing has become extremely evident, I’ve truly missed reading. There’s just something about reading a good book curled up on the couch under a warm blanket…
30 Books in 2018 Reading Challenge
Of course I have read a book here or there over the years and some more than others (kid books anyone?) but nothing like before I had my children. Needless to say, I downloaded the GoodReads app in the middle of January and have pretty much been reading about a book a week since.
“The More that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr Seuss
If I’m being honest I’m not exactly sure where the number 30 came from perhaps it was a suggestion on the GoodReads app? I wanted to share with you guys my current reading list. I know this list will change and evolve but regardless I wanted to share my starting list. It’s going to be fun to watch this list evolve over the course of the year.
30 Books And Counting
- Stronger than the Struggle – Havilah Cunnington
- The Magic of Motherhood – Ashlee Gadd
- Dance, Stand, Run: The God-Inspired Moves of a Woman on Holy Ground – Jess Connolly
- Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely – Lys TerKeurst
- Sing!: How Worship Transforms Your Life, Family, and Church – Keith Getty
- Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living – Shauna Niequist
- Wild and Free: A Hope-Filled Anthem for the Woman Who Feels She is Both Too Much and Need Enough – Hayley Morgan & Jess Connolly
- Fierce Faith: A Woman’s Guide to Fighting Fear, Wrestling Worry, and Overcoming Anxiety – Alli Worthington
- Becoming MomStrong: How to Fight with All That’s in You for Your Family and Your Faith – Heidi St John
- Humble Roots: How Humility Grounds and Nourishes Your Soul – Hannah Anderson
- Hello Mornings: How to Build a Grace-Filled, Life-Giving Morning Routine – Kat Lee
- Between Heaven and the Real World: My Story – Steven Curtis Chapman
- Kill The Spider: Getting Rid of What’s Really Holding You Back – Carlos Enrique Whittaker
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear – Elizabeth Gilbert
- The Magnolia Story – Chip and Joanna Gaines & Mark Dagostino
- Capital Gaines: Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff – Chip Gaines
- Kisses From Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption – Katie Davis Majors
- Daring to Hope: Finding God’s Goodness in the Broken and Beautiful – Katie Davis Majors
- Loving My Actual Life: An Experiment in Relishing What’s Right in Front of Me – Alexandra Kuykendall
- Own Your Life: How to Grow a Legacy of Faith, Love, and Spiritual Influence – Sally Clarkson
- Eat. Pray. Hustle: Dream Chasing God’s Way – Havilah Cunnington
- A Simplified Life: Tactical Tools for Intentional Living – Emily Ley
- Cultivate: A Grace-Filled Guide to Growing an Intentional Life – Lara Casey
- The Turquoise Table: Finding Community and Connection in Your Own Front Yard – Kristin School
- Of Mess and Moxie: Wrangling Delight Out of This Wild and Glorious Life – Jen Hatmaker
- Always Enough, Never Too Much: 100 Devotions to Quit Comparing, Stop Hiding, and Start Living Wild and Free – Jess Connolly & Hayley Morgan (releases April 24th, 2018)*
- Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be – Rachel Hollis (releases February 6th, 2018)*
- More Than Just Making It: Hope for the Heart of the Financially Frustrated – Erin Odom
- Before Amen: The Power of Simple Prayer – Max Lucado
- Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone – Brene Brown
2018 is my QUEST to Read More
I’m sure that over the course of this year that I will be on and off with my reading and that my list may look vastly different by the end of the year. Personally I am very excited to read “all the books.” I’m really excited about this book challenge. Never before had I even heard of a book challenge, I’m glad I downloaded the GoodReads application. Reading 30 books in a year is probably super easy for some people. I am aware of the challenge this is going to be for me and I am truly excited.
Do you have a GoodReads account? Let’s connect on there! I’m not exactly sure how to do so but, don’t be shy. Send me an email or leave a note below and we’ll figure it out! Also, I am curious if you have any book recommendations for me? I am always open to hear your recommendations! Thanks everyone!