Repeat after me – “I will hold myself to a standard of GRACE NOT PERFECTION…” Do you believe it? Listed below are strategies that will help break the cycle of perfectionism and challenge you with 5 ways to embrace grace.
5 Ways to Embrace GRACE
- In order to experience grace we must seek grace within ourselves. Wait. what? Grace is an inside out journey, a choice to chase joy instead of the pursuit of perfection. It doesn’t mean that you will always have good days… Life is full of so many unpredictable and overwhelming things. Both Facebook and Instagram are full of people with perfectly put together lives and beautiful pinterest worthy love stories and homes… In the real world people are overwhelmed and hurting.
- Stop comparing your life and your story to others. Find within yourself what makes you happy and determine right now that you are not going to let people and things get in the way of reaching your full potential.
- Extend an attitude of grace toward those closest to us. Trust me there are times when my husband walks in the door from work and the last thing I want to do is hear him complain about his day… trust me, I know. Grace allows us to see others as vulnerable, authentic, REAL people. No one is perfect. Holding our spouse or children to this standard is setting them up to fail. Seeing and being a part of their story is a gift.
- Be present. Being present is probably the biggest eye opener for me so far in my journey. While I’ve been focusing on holding myself to a standard of grace I’ve been convicted of holding my family to the same standard. Sometimes its hard to extend grace to my kids… but there’s joy when I let go of the idea that they must maintain a certain image or behavior pattern. Kids are kids after all. By extending grace to those closest to us we are teaching them how to treat others. What an awesome, terrifying truth – they are watching us and learning from us…
- Stop seeking approval from others. Who defined your worth? God created you and He loves you flaws and all. It’s time to stop being so hard on ourselves because of the flaws we see within. It’s time to seek God and pursue a life embracing the tough character building trials and the sweet days that we never want to end.
The takeaway? We are all human and all have our own struggles. Whatever the struggle is or area in your life that is holding you back from feeling the fullness of God’s grace in your life allow yourself to do what you can, where you are, with the resources you have. Give yourself permission to embrace grace in your journey.